16 June 2008

Guns at a wedding.

I just got back from another wedding.

A traditional Jewish wedding complete with the marriage canopy under the sky, the 7 blessings, breaking of the glass to commemorate the mourning over the destruction of the Temple, Jewish music, men and women dancing separately and guns. Lots of guns.

The wedding hall was guarded by an armed guard. He dutifully checked my carry permit as I entered the premises.

As soon as I got inside, the groom's brother, a neighbor of mine, asked me if I would mind holding onto his M4 for the evening. I guess he thought I looked naked without my M16A1 and was taking pity on me. It's funny how a Glock 17 on my right hip and 2 spare 33 round Glock magazines on my left hip look inadequate to my neighbors.

As I took possession of the M4, his cousin came up to say hi. He had left his M4/M203 on base.

I sat at my assigned table with 9 other guys. Of the 10 of us, there were 3 Glocks, 1 Sig, and 2 S&W's. It was a little weird until I realized that 3 of the guys were under 21, and 2 were still in the IDF and had their duty weapons stashed under the table.

I neglected to bring my camera so my description will have to suffice.

We talked guns and politics, the advantages of the Tavor, Krav Maga and security between the traditional dancing, delicious food and other wedding treats until Mrs. DoubleTapper signaled me from the women's section that it was time to mount up and head home.

8 comments:

DoubleTapper said...

Blogger ate a bunch of comments this morning.

I'm reposting them here:

JR said:

Sounds like the kind of wedding I would like to attend.


Robb Allen said:

My kind of wedding!

Here in the states, the only thing I've shot at weddings was photographs. But I've generally been armed as I'm toting around several thousand dollars worth of camera gear.

Always a Glock, but never a rifle. I'm jealous.

Turk Turon said:

WOW!
Makes me want to emigrate [immigrate?]. Whatever. I'm half Jewish, on my children's side. What's the Hebrew word? Aliya? Does that mean visit, or emigrate?

Turk- Aliyah is the Hebrew word for elevate or go up. In the vernacular it means to immigrate to Israel.

Let me know when you plan to visit and I'll make sure you get to see the real Israel.

Ron Simpson said...

I have seen the Tavor. Looks like a fine weapon. What does the IDF use for a squad automatic weapon? when I was in the army I caried the 203 and loved it but the MM16 leaves a lot to be desired in my book. I do not like the .223 round. Now the 6.5 Grendel. That is a round. As for the Sig, was it a .357 Sig? I want one of those.

SordidPanda said...

Sounds like fun, did you guys come to any conclusions in regards to the Tavor? Has there been enough hands on use that some prefer it for MOUT but not for designated marskman work?

And Krav Maga, did you have practitioners of other martial arts such as jujitsu compare the benefits/drawbacks of each?

Inquiring minds would like to know :)

SordidPanda said...

Sounds like fun, did you guys come to any conclusions in regards to the Tavor? Has there been enough hands on use that some prefer it for MOUT but not for designated marskman work?

And Krav Maga, did you have practitioners of other martial arts such as jujitsu compare the benefits/drawbacks of each?

Inquiring minds would like to know :)

Esser Agaroth said...

B"H

LOL

Only in Israel! (...and Texas?)

I've gotten so used to them, I don't even notice them, unless there's an alert.

People say I'm crazy for not having a weapon here in the Shomron.

They're probably right.

Unknown said...

LOL I AGREE! Jr man you said it!

Anonymous said...

I have got to attend a Jewish wedding in Israel!

DoubleTapper said...

AmericanMercenary- The Tavor is awesome. The balance is excellent and allow a much steadier shot. The standard accessories are top notch, and it is a pleasure to carry.

Krav Maga has a short learning curve and is extremely effective. Other martial arts and fighting techniques are not geared to teaching the novice to incapacitate his opponent. Krav Maga starts this type of training during the first lesson. Look fo Krav Maga on youtube or take an introductory class in your are and you'll see what I mean.

Steve- Let me know when you'll be in Israel and I'll get you an invite!

Jews

Related Posts with Thumbnails